Controverisal Play and Topic in Early Childhood Education

As adults we have more knowledge and experience of the world than that of children, because of this we tend to view and analyze children’s play based upon our learned beliefs and values. However, this sometimes brings us to a crossroads when children begin to show interest in something that seems “wrong”, “dangerous”, or “against our beliefs”. What do we do? This blog will, explore topics of children’s play that make us feel uncomfortable and give suggestions on how we can take a step back to figure out why and how to support their learning and understanding.

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Controversial Play: Play that Children want and need but are not trusted to do

As adults we have more knowledge and experience of the world than that of children, because of this we tend to view and analyze children’s play based upon our learned beliefs and values. However, this sometimes brings us to a crossroads when children begin to show interest in something that seems “wrong”, “dangerous”, or “against our beliefs”. What do we do? Do we ignore the children’s interest? Do we ban the children’s interest? Or do we let them explore it? This blog will explore topics of children’s play that is commonly restricted or banned for children and how us as adults can take a step back to observe why children are showing interest in that topic so we can better support their learning and understanding. Play in itself is the way children express themselves and I believe in the child’s right to play. Even if it makes us feel uncomfortable. Let's watch how children become smart, independent, resilient, and competent just by trusting them to play the topics they want to explore.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Melinda, I love that you've started a conversation about the topic of controversial play! I am curious to know what others out there think what defines controversial play. As a child I used to travel around our neighborhood unsupervised. I would meet up with friends at the part and hang out at the wading pool all day. We headed home mostly unscathed, except for the time I broke my toe when I tripped over a wood frame where a new sidewalk was to be poured. Parks seem empty to me now, especially in the winter. I look forward to others comments and questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit I was one of those moms who would casually walk back and forth under the monkey bars for fear one of my kids would (heaven forbid) fall and land on the oh so dangerous 12 inches of pea gravel below. To this day, I've no clue why I had to catch my kids before they fell.
    I grew up outside all day every day hanging at the Seine River skipping rocks and balancing on rocks along the rivers edge with zero adult supervisiom, built forts in the forest with rotten lumber filled w rusty nails and for added fun, we dug for treasures in every slimey rat infested BFI bin we could find.
    Im not quite that daring w my Child Care families, however Im def not a cling on helicopter ECE!
    I encourage all sorts of play and when it's the childs mission to understand why or how or what happens when, Im that ECE to lead them to the doors and let them open whichever door they need to open. I may be selfishly re-living my own childhood freedoms or perhaps ridding my guilt as a "copter-mom", but regardless of my motive, I have learned the importance of risky play in order for all of us (children and adults) to understand our own questions or theories and open doors to discover our world in our own way on own path of life long learning.
    (When i need to be reminded of why I now encourage fort building down at the same Seine River with my Child care children, I reflect back on some amazing instruction and resources from you Melinda and of course "my Michele")

    ReplyDelete